This is the second part of the article about Adolf Anderssen (1818–1879), a German chess master and the world’s leading chess player for much of the 1850s and 1860s, and some of his best attacking chess games. If you missed the first part, you can find it here.
In the first part, we saw the best tournament results of Anderssen, his final tournament, his death, and some of his amazing combinations. Now let’s continue with the second part.
Anderssen’s Most Important Matches
In the 1800s, matches were common. Anderssen played many matches. The ones that stand out (in his prime years and no casual games) were:
1. Win over Ernst Falkbeer (1851): 4 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws.
2. Win over Johann Lowenthal (1851): 5 wins, 2 losses, 0 draws.
3. Win over Johann Lowenthal (1851): 5 wins, 4 losses, 0 draws.
4. Win over Daniel Harrwitz (1858): 3 wins, 1 loss, 2 draws.
5. Defeated by Paul Morphy (1858): 2 wins, 7 losses, 2 draws.
6. Win over Jean Dufresne (1859): 4 wins, 0 losses, 0 draws.
7. Tied with Ignatz von Kolisch (1860): 4 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw.
8. Win over Ignatz von Kolisch (1861): 4 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws.
9. Tied with Louis Paulsen (1862): 3 wins for both, two draws.
10. Defeated by Wilhelm Steinitz (1866): 6 wins, 8 losses, no draws.
11. Win over Johannes Zukertort (1868): 8 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw
Attacking Combinations of Anderssen (Part – 2)
It’s time to look at a few more brilliant combinations from the games of Anderssen. Are you on board? 🙂
Puzzle – 8
Black has controlled a lot of light squares around the white king. How could he make use of it?
Puzzle – 9
How should White hunt down the black king?
Puzzle – 10
The end is not very far for Black. How to finish it off?
Puzzle – 11
Sometimes it’s more than just a bishop pair against a knight pair. Can you see it? 🙂
Puzzle – 12
Black is up the Exchange. How should he proceed?
Puzzle – 13
Can you find the winning tactics for White?
Puzzle – 14
White is a rook and a bishop down. What would you do here as White?
After calculating all the answers, you can find the complete games below: